WORDS

They shape your world

My Profile

My Profile
I am currently pursuing a Bachelor of Education degree.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

WinZip

WinZip is an excellent software tool that helps you do a variety of things. With its many wizards to guide you, execution of any of its features are quickly done.

WinZip allows you to zip and unzip files. The benefit of doing this is twofold, that is to conserve disk spae and greatly reduce e-mail transmission time. If you have the luxury of still having to use a dial-up connection as myself, you can surely imagine my dilemma. Trying to attach files containing text and pictures seemed to take forever, but with a zip file, the overall time taken to send an e-mail is considerably reduced.

WinZip integrates with Windows to open RAR and other file types. This is excellent for downloading. Once I had to download an e-book called Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics for my brother. The compressed e-book was 26.9 MB rar. When it was extracted, it was 75.5 MB pdf. The result therefore was a file that was approximately 65% smaller which took about 35% of the time it would have taken, had the file not been compressed. Surely there was less hassle on my part.

WinZip offers AES (Advanced Encrytion Standard) encrytion to keep files secure via passwords. This is a great feature for highly confidential information.

If you're as busy as myself with no time to waste, try WinZip. Now that I've tried it I would highly recommend it.


1 comment: